Peter Davey – BCom/LLB
Doing business is complex
At some point, almost every business will face a significant legal problem. Whether it’s a contract gone wrong, an insolvent trading partner or an investigation by the regulator, litigation is stressful and can make it hard to drive your business forward.
I’m Peter Davey and as a commercial and criminal barrister, I’m here to help you navigate the litigation process and achieve the best result for your unique situation. It may sound simple, but I find great satisfaction in helping you resolve your legal problems, so you can get back to focusing on your business.
I began my career as a criminal prosecutor in the early 1990s, learning the craft of advocacy, and persuasion in jury trials in the District and High Courts, on offences ranging from class A drugs to sexual violation, murder and manslaughter. In 1998 I took up a partnership in a boutique commercial law firm, before joining the bar as a barrister sole in 2004.
With this unusual mix of criminal and civil experience, I have developed an investigative mind and an ability to unravel complex problems, get to the heart of the facts and build a convincing case.
While the primary focus of my civil practice is on company matters, contractual disputes and insolvency, I have a special interest in misleading conduct and commercial deception, including unravelling fraud, and tracing and recovering misappropriated funds.
I’m uniquely placed to advise companies and individuals facing concurrent criminal charges and civil proceedings. I have represented clients facing a broad range of regulatory investigations, and I am a member of the prosecution panel for the Serious Fraud Office.
I have particular experience in:
- Commercial disputes such as breach of contract, restraint of trade, avoidance of contract
- Liquidators’ duties, including voidable transactions
- Directors’ duties, including claims of reckless trading
- Investigating, tracing and recovering misappropriated funds; obtaining freezing orders
- Injunctions to prevent or enforce the sale of property
- Orders for the preservation and return of property
- Acting as defence counsel in regulatory prosecutions under the Companies Act 1993, Fair Trading Act 1986 and the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992, .
- Acting as defence counsel in High Court and District Court jury trials for offences including sexual violation, class A controlled drugs and serious assaults.
Notable judgments include:
- R v Hayes  2 NZLR 321 – Counsel for the appellant in the Supreme Court on one of the leading decisions on dishonest intent in cases of criminal fraud
- Mason v Lewis  3 NZLR 225 – One of the leading Court of Appeal decisions on directors’ personal liabilities with regard to reckless trading
You can find further details of my career on LinkedIN
I pride myself on my professionalism, excellence and clear communication and will keep you fully informed at every step of the journey.
Together, we’ll put this legal challenge behind you, so you can get back to growing your business.
Call me on (09) 309 0475 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and let’s get started on solving your legal problem.
Peter Davey, BCom/LLB – Barrister in Auckland, NZ